Dressing appropriately for job interviews is one of those areas that puzzles some people.
Should you dress conservatively or wear casual attire?
What colors work best?
What types of shoes should you wear?
As a rule, you should dress conservatively for most job interviews. Remember, you only get one shot at making a good first impression.
Here are some basic dress for success tips:
- Research how people in a particular field/organization dress and then dress accordingly. If youíre not sure what the dress code is, dress conservatively.
- Conservative formal dress consists of a suit (gray, navy, or black) with a nice dress shirt/blouse. Shoes should be dark and well-shined. Women can also wear a tailored dress with or without a jacket. Pumps with low to medium heels are best.
- Business casual is a more relaxed look for both men and women. Casual interview wear can consist of a sports coat or jacket with pants or a skirt in an attractive contrasting color. Think: Navy blazer with khaki pants, etc. Add a casual shirt or turtleneck to complete the look.
- Hair and nails should be clean and well-groomed.
- Skip the perfume and aftershave. You donít want to turn an interviewer off by overpowering their sense of smell.
- Avoid wearing noisy, dangling earrings and bracelets Ė these can look inappropriate and be distracting. Hide or remove body piercings and tattoos.
Learning how to dress smart for your interviews will create a great impression and also give your self-confidence a real boost.
About The Author
Donna Monday writes employment related articles for http://www.get-a-job-interview-quick-tips.com.